Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Observations from my coordinates.

The following are my observations about caching as found on my caching profile.

1) When a sign says high water across the road, beleive it regardless of the vehicle coming from ahead.
2)Ford Explorers float at least for a short time. (see rule 1)
3) You have not really cached Michigan unless you have been on a two track.
3b) During winter, if even the locals are not using the two track, then you better stay off too.
4) Cold is sitting on a vault toilet in Michigan on Thanksgiving weekend.
6)You might be a cacher if your conversation on how to get somewhere invovles coordinates.
7) You might be a cacher if it has ever taken you 11 hours to drive a trip that normally takes only 5.5 hours.
8) At least for me, caching is about seeing neat places, neat people, and neat things. When that stops, I am ebaying my gpsr.
9) Always follow the trial as far as you can. The shortest way is seldom the best way to get to a cache. It amazes me how often I forget this.
10) If someone in your caching party has a problem with your plan of attack, listen. You may save the running board of your car that way.
11) Take the time to get to know your local dnr and other land managers. No gurantee if it will work out and you never know when you will be included in an INDNR program and get to feed an owl in the wild. That is worth more than any smiley that I could ever log.
12) It's the character of a cacher and not the find count that inpresses me most about someone.
13) No matter where you go or what you do, you run the risk of encountering a jerk. Stick to your guns - abandoning your path to either avoid one or BECOME one merely allows the jerk the victory.
14)The ice that holds up your 65 lb dog is not guranteed to hold up an adult. The water underneath is pretty darn cold and a killjoy for caching. It is a good reason to get a new pair of socks and shoes.
15) When looking for a cache, beware of your assumptions, they may hinder you finding the cache.
16) If you don't want to leave a hint for your cache page on the cache page, then leave it blank, there is nothing more annoying than manually trying to decipher a paragraph of nothing to get a non-existant hint. Your momma must be so proud.
17) When placing a cache (especially a micro), ask yourself what is so special about this particular street lamp in the walmart parking lot? It's not a requirement but I like caches that show me somewhere or something I would not necessarily see in my regular rounds of errands. A nice walk ( especially in the woods) also scores big points with me.
18) Nobody likes every type of cache the same. It's not a comment on the cache just each person's preference. If you say you like them all, I probably won't listen to you because you haven't thought about it. If we disagree about types, then I can judge if I will do it based on your style of caching. Thankfully geocaching is big enough for several different styles of caching styles.

No comments: