Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Thursday, August 2, 2007

News Commentary

A bridge in Minnesota collapsed last night. A certain talk show host was once again on the terrorist drum. I am wondering how much more of America's infrastructure is going to give way. First it was the Manhattan steam pipe and now this bridge. I realize maintenaince is expensive but so is the loss of life and property.

The other story I would like to address is on in the local Fort Wayne media. A fifteen year old counsellor in training took a seven year old camper aside and a sexual incident happened. One of the local radio stations mentioned how the reports of juvenile on juvenile molestation is up and how some think that means the rate of it happening is going up. I am really split on this one. On the one hand, I truly believe that kids (not all) have been checking each others bodies out since the beginning of time. Not that it is right, but most of it is the result of children's natural desire to know. The behavior is not right but it is usually not malice in nature. On the other side, considering how sexualized society is getting, I would not be surprised if the molesting is on the rise and not always the more innocent wonderings of each other bodies. Between the content on TV, movies and internet and the sex ware being sold as children's clothes, it would not be a surprise it is on the rise. The children will think they need to get it on as early as possible.

What I am trying to get at is I think it is hard to say how much the rate of reproting this incidents reflects on the real rate of this happening. The other thing is that even though I don't think kids should be getting it on, but it is not always criminally punishable. In the case of the fifteen year old and seven year old, I am glad the fifteen year old was charge. He was enough older to be taking advantage of the seven year old.

No comments: