Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Saturday, August 25, 2007

LaOtto Firemen's Corn Roast

My wife and I went went to a corn roast yesterday at the LaOtto Firehouse yesterday. Yum! It was a pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, and all you can eat fresh sweet corn and watermelon. The corn was fresh picked that day. The corn alone was worth the price of admission. Nothing like getting stuff fresh from the field. The best thing to me was that it was a fund raiser for the volunteer firefighters. They really deserve our support. Not that I am against paying fire fighters but I appreciate people who willl just stand up and do. Most small towns and villages can not afford paid fire fighters. The tax base is just not there but the need is certainly there. I think it is great that people will volunteer for this job and thecommunity will do the fundraisers to get the material things they need to do their job. The great thing is that it is done largely off the taxes. Taxes should be done when there is no other way of handling a community need or want. There are alot o f ways of making things happen without taxing the community for it. People are generous and willing to give for a good cause. Seldom does anyone like having it taken from them even if they are for the project. taxes always feels like money taken from me. i guess it is the small government belief in me. People get things done, no governments/

No comments: