Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Monday, July 30, 2007

Pursuit of Happiness

I like the phrase "pursuit of happiness" from the US constitution. It reminds me that life does not insure me happiness. Nothing in this lifetime does. There are plenty of miserable people with all life's blessings and people who have found happiness in their poverty. Joy and happiness is a state of being and and attitude, not what you have. how many people are chasing life's good things to get happy. If only I had the latest and greatest toy, then I would be happy. I am not saying that getting nice things is wrong but let us have a perspective on what we want. If we count the blessings we have instead of always look at the tyranny of the wants of the heart, then how happy would we be. The big trouble is that life beats us down and it is so easy to think of how it is so easier for everyone else and why can't we have all the nice shiny things that would make life so much easier and secure.

I have to admit I have been grumping lately. I have been looking at all the things that could be better in my life. Some are are as I see them. Some I have made bigger than they are. I have not been looking at the blessing as I should. Time to relearn a lesson that it is my destiny to relearn forever.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Good point. It's tough to be non-grumpy all the time, isn't it. Sometimes the EVERYONE ELSE factor intrudes. Keep pursuing, though. It's always worth it.