Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Friday, July 27, 2007

GPS Enthusiast

I have always been drawn to gadgets and technology. Some of my earliest memories is watching thr apollo mission. Needless to say, I was totally addicted to sci fi growing up. Not to say this was a 100% cause of my love for the gps but it sure did not hurt. My wife and I initially got one gps to try out this website called geocaching.com. Over four years later wwe are still finding caches but our style of hunt has changed. Instead of just dong caches, we are also hunting benchmarks and waymarks. For those of you that may not have heard of this before, a cache is a hidden container with at least a log in it and hidden. The person who hides it posts the coordinates on the geocaching website. Benchmarks are survey markers placed by one of several different government organizations. They are listed on several different databases. Some of the databases are descriptions with coordinates and some lack the cordinates. The later are a neat chcallenge because you can only go off a description. It's not always that hard. Most of them are in the open and the only reason you have not seen it was because you were not looking for it. Waymarking is a slightly different hunt. It is on waymarking.com, and the trick here is that it is a scavenger hunt for different categories of things. It can be anything from chain restaurants to benchmarks to historical spots.

There is a common motivation for doing these three things with a gps. I like seeing new things. I like if not exploring my world, at least seeing what is out there. It is a bit of an adventure even though I don't really get that far from home. It is not climbing Everest, buti t is still my adventure. Not that I want to brag. but i have seen and done things that not everyone has done thanks to caching. There has been some annoyance and disappointment along the way but it has been more fun than not. Hope we can meet on the trail.

No comments: