Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Potty Time Evangelism







































Let me start this out with the fact that I am a Christian and this is being written from one Christian's perspective. Your views may vary.

I went to the Sam's club in Fort Wayne and I had to use the little boys room because breakfast was catching up with me. I just get settled when I noticed a chic tract and a mailer for a free bible study in the stall and left on the toilet paper dispenser. I felt a movement but I don't think it was the Holy Spirit and I am not totally sure if the stink I smelt was from me. It was a classic case of spam evangelism but more than that it was getting evangelized in the bathroom with my shorts around my ankles. Not a pretty sight.

I am sure that Jack Chic and the people who distribute his publications are well meaning people but to me, even as a Christian and someone who is behind Christian evangelism, spamming people with tracts in the bathroom is not the way to go. I don't think spamming people anywhere with tracts is appropriate. Even though they are well intentioned, I think their theology and tactics are suspect at best.

The one Chic Tract I really had to laugh at the hardest is one called Dark Dungeons. It is a tract that is specifically against Dungeons and Dragons and if used with a big enough brush can also be used against all role playing games. It portrays people who play as either getting into the occult or becoming mentally ill and committing suicide. Although I can appreciate people's concern with the magic and violent that is in Dungeons and Dragons and other role playing games, there is no correlation that I have seen between the two. People like to demonize easy targets like Harry Potter, D&D or even the Wizard of Oz for having witches and magic in it. By that definition than the Narnia series and Lord of the Rings should also be renounced and they were written by good Christian men. Maybe I am in need of help since I use the mind that God has blessed me with.

Below I am posting the links to the two tracts I have mentioned.

This Was your Life.
Dark Dungeons.

No comments: