Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Geo-Historian



I am really starting to think that waymarking is making me a bit of a geo-historian. What I mean by this is that I am putting the local history I find down to a set of coordinates. It's linking the history with the geography. I am learning a lot in the process. It's forcing me to research and look for things both in print and in the world.

One thing I learned is that the cannon at the DeKalb county Courthouse was actually mounted in its present position before the courthouse was in place and was put in place in 1909. I have that cannon numerous times and did not know the history. I have to read more of the local history books I have. There is just so much neat local history.

The weird thing is that I love local history. Anyone's local history. The History channel and textbooks cover the global events. What you don't always see is what was happening on the local level. I have read local histories for a couple of places am getting a flavor for an era and how localities are similar and different.

No comments: