Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Heart of Winter

We are in the deepest part of the winter deep freeze, at least by the statistical averages. The days are getting noticeable longer and I am waiting for Candle mas or Ground Hog Day for the pace of day lengthening to pick up. One thing I like about Lent apart from the more important celebrations of the Church, is watching the days grow long as the season progresses. This is most noticeable, at least for me, by taking note of sunset versus the time of Wednesday night services. Sunset is often before service even starts at the beginning of Lent. By Easter, it is light after the end of Wednesday night service. Not to get overly theological or philosophical, Lent and Easter seams to waken the Earth along with the spiritual promise it tells. Probably making too much of this but take it as it you will. I also know this is also only true for the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern hemisphere is totally opposite to us. Shoot me for my bias in imagery.

No comments: