Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Friday, June 18, 2010

Local Sports and Media

One of the new programs that has to 1440 AM/ 95.5 FM with their extended air time is a sports talk show on Thursday Night from 8-9 PM. My apologies to the host Fred for forgetting his last name. Regardless of my shortfalls in memory, I tried the show out for the first time last night because he was going to interview Bob Chase who does the radio broadcasts for the Komets on WOWO 1190 radio. It should be no surprise why I turned in since I love hockey, the Komets and think Bob Chase does a fabulous job on doing the play by play. I was really pleasantly surprised that not only did I enjoy the topic for the night but enjoyed the show itself and its format. It was very much from a local fan prespective and I found it enjoyable. I enjoy hockey but I am not that much of an overall sports fan but this sports show is going to get a bit more attention from me.
Blake Sebring was also on and he is one of the local Fort Wayne reporters who has done three books on Komet Hockey related topics. I had two of them previous to the show last night and I got to be doubly lucky by them giving away copies of the one book of his I did not have on the Komets and I was lucky enough to win one. Talk about icing on the cake for my first time listening to the show.
Both bob Chase and Blake Sebring gave some really interesting information on the history of the Komets and where they are now.. I am by no means a super uber fan but I like to be informed about it and these two guys are worth the listen. One thing that shocked me but did not surprise me really was that the IHL was looking to do some cooperation with another league. Running a minor league is hard in good times and with the economy being soft it makes the challenges a bit harder. several teams in the IHL were really struggling both on the ice and on the business end and at least two of the teams are gone now. That is a shame since I think the IHL is a good sports product for a good price. It is not like I totally dislike the NHL but I do think they expanded too far and have been priced out of hand of a lot of people.
Enough of the soap box, I will be enjoying the show, the hockey and the new book I got. I am still going to be a fan regardless of the changes coming down the pike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.