Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Frugality of Exploring Your Own Backyard


































I have been walking around the neighbourhood a lot more over the last year. For one thing, I need to get up and off my butt to exercise more. Second of all, under the influence of me waymarking, I have been noticing different things around the neighbourhood more. There is a grotto down the street from me that has two trees that are in memory of tow ladies that have passed away. That got my attention and got me curious about who these ladies were and why they got these trees dedicated to them. There is a story to this and I am yet not aware of it.

In any case, I have been starting to explore nearby places and finding a lot of interesting places that are cheap or free to visit. Whehter it is the grotto with these deicated trees or Lash Park that I spoke of in a previous blog post, There are neat places to go and spend time on the cheap. Some are for the price of walking over for the price of gas for a short drive of a car. (so short I would not even call it a trip) One of the suckiest things of trying to be on a budget is cutting back on doing fun stuff since there is not the budget to do or buy the fun stuff. There are alternatives out there to make your fun time dollars stretch a bit further. This is not someting new thought up by me but something I have been learning to put into practice.


Sometimes it amazes me how it takes hard times to make us all do things we should have been doing all along. I am not saying we can not spend money on fun things, just that we need to look at what we are spending our money on is fun worth the money we are spending. It is all about getting the best bang for our buck because regardless of how well we are doing, our money is finite and we need to put it to good use.

No comments: