Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Monday, February 7, 2011

Soul of the Machine

Soul of the Machine is a phrase I first heard on the Solder Smoke Podcast. As I roll my own computers out of old computers and spare parts, I am understanding this phrase more and more. My present laptop is the computer that feels most like mine. Some of that is due to the fact that is the computer that has been most exculsively used by me alone. However, since I resurrected it myself and have been setting it up for my use from the bottom up. There is something to be said about using something that you had a role in crafting. That goes for more than just computers. Things that you make take a life of their own; sometimes they can be quarky and definitely unique. That is not always a bad thing especially when they get a bit of soul about them because you left your touch on them. They are still just things but can become the best possessions and gifts.

No comments: