Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Friday, November 20, 2009

The Economy is Freakin' Scary

With unemployment up around 10%, the price of homes being low, lines of credit drying up as well as uncertainty on Wall Street, it is scary out there. The answer is not going to come from Washington or Corporate America but from the American people getting their financial house put into order both as individuals as well as the national level. I do not think Washington is going to help because it is the private sector and not government that creates wealth. Government can only redistribute wealth. I am not saying that governments categorically do not work but there is a lot of things that the private sector does better. I don't think the private sector is totally clean is the recent problems. The sub prime lending bubble burst is proof of that. Business made the loans, the government did not govern the banks better and too many people were relying on easy credit. There is enough blame to go around.

The big thing now is learning to do more with less. That goes for government, businesses and individuals. It is not going to be a quick fix. I think it might be another year or two before things get better. I hope I am wrong and things improve faster than that. there are some major fundamental things wrong with the economy and I don't think there is a quick fix. I also don't think much of the bail outs that have come out of Washington done by either the Bush or Obama Administrations.
I do beleive in a Do It Yourself Attitude. There are things that you are better off paying someone else to do but there are many things that you are miles ahead doing yourself. One thing I am going to do is try as many things as possible to either save money or getting addditional benefits without spending more money or at least in a cost effective manner. I might blog them here. I don't promise anything earth shattering or anything new, but things that may or may not be helpful but it will serve as one persons coping with the way that things are.

No comments: