Animal Crackers

Animal Crackers

Friday, May 29, 2009

Rain and the Black Swamp

Here in Garrett, we live where the Black Swamp historically was. (Link) Even with draining the swamp, the history of the land still remains. Around here, it is not a matter if there will flooding in the spring but when and how much. The backyard swamped up yesterday with the rains we had the night before. It was a case of i was glad it rained because it filled the pool again without cost but the lawn was a mess to cut but I needed to get it cut before it rained again.

Getting back to the flooding in spring, I have gotten to the point where I give up driving the back routes when it is wet just because of the flooding. I made the mistake of going of going through some water across the road once and almost flooded the Explorer. That was the day I learned that Ford Explorers float for at least a little bit. I would not want to use it as a boat however.

You also know when you live on an ex swamp when the school kids get fog days on a regular basis in fall.

No comments: